Monday, December 10, 2012

A major accomplishment

No one was more surprised than I when the judge pulled June from the line at the Starved Rock Kennel Club show on December 7th and awarded her BOB (Best of Breed). As I had exhibited June in the Bred By Exhibitor class, this meant the judge put a class bitch up over three MALE SPECIALS!

I had to go to the superintendent's table to find out exactly what that meant in regard to points, as it is incredibly rare for a class entry to go up over Specials, and even more so for a class bitch to go up over male Specials. I was pleased to find out the win gave June a 4pt major. This from a dog I as the breeder nicknamed "scrawny monkey" from an early age and more or less gave up on the idea of ever finishing her a few years ago. Of course we're not quite done yet but this has given me incentive to think about taking her out a few times in 2013.

June was very full of herself both in the ring (which may have helped cement her win) and afterward. Those who show in conformation are familiar with the saying "the dog asked for the win." Knowing her personality, I think perhaps June might have even demanded it, though never in my wildest dreams did I think a judge would acquiesce.

2 comments: