Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Looking good for a veteran

June finished her AKC Championship on May 4th by going WB/BOW for a 3pt major. This is an extra special accomplishment since some time ago I convinced myself she would never finish and pretty much stopped showing her except maybe once a year to help build points for an entry. When I did this last December the judge confounded all of my expectations by not only giving June BOW over the dog I was trying to build a crossover point for, he then proceeded to award her BOB over three male Specials! It was at that point I thought, well maybe… Of course June blew her coat soon after so any additional show plans were put on hold until recently. A few weeks ago she picked up 2pts by going WB/BOW at a show in Fond du Lac, WI. Still, that wasn’t the coveted second major we required to finish. When we entered the ring on Saturday I tried to empty myself of any expectations. I was confident she looked good, but the other class bitches were nice too, and it can be difficult to predict what a judge is looking for, and whether your dog embodies it. Happily for us, June did that day! When we had our win shot taken with the judge, he commented to me that "she had the cleanest movement both coming and going". His words meant a lot to me as a breeder because movement is something I tend to focus on, probably because in my younger days I was as stuck on horses as I am now stuck on dogs.

The championship completes June's requirements for the Rusty Jones award, an NSDTRC USA award which showcases the versatility of Tollers by requiring a breed championship, a CD (obedience title) and a WC (field title). In true June fashion the WC was the first title she earned, around 2 years of age.

What’s most amazing to me is that June will be turning 8 in less than a month, so has been eligible to show as a Veteran for almost a year. I've always thought Tollers are a slow maturing breed at their best, so it's pretty special to me that at an age when many breeders are retiring their bitches, June seems to be just hitting her stride in many ways.

 

2 comments:

  1. Ready for her closeup... and, apparently, some barbecue!

    Didn't I tell you she is perfect?

    Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune!

    David, the Godfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June is looking great!! So glad that she is a Champion now. She has grown so much since her Scrawny Monkey days!!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete